What is School Wide Positive Behaviour Support? (SWPBS)
School-wide positive behaviour support (SWPBS) is a framework that brings together school communities to develop positive, safe, supportive learning cultures. SWPBS assists schools to improve social, emotional, behavioural and academic outcomes for children and young people.
When SWPBS is implemented well, teachers and students have more time to focus on relationships and classroom instruction. Students and staff benefit from:
- increased respectful and positive behaviour
- increased time focused on instruction
- improved social-emotional wellbeing
- positive and respectful relationships among students and staff
- increased adoption of evidence-based instructional practices
- a predictable learning environment with improved perceptions of safety and increased attendance.
Why do we explicitly teach our Expected Behaviours?
Introducing, modelling and reinforcing positive social behaviour is an important step of a student’s educational experience. Explicitly teaching our behavioural expectations and acknowledging students for demonstrating them is key to our success.
- They are necessary skills for success in life
- Many students arrive at school without these important skills
- They are the basis for a positive and safe climate
- Doing so increases opportunities to teach other skills
When do we teach our Expected Behaviours?
- At the beginning of school year
- Often enough to achieve and maintain fluency
- Before times when problem behaviours tend to increase
- Ongoing throughout the year (refresher lessons)
- At teachable moments
How do we teach Social Behaviours?
- Tell – Introduce the expected behaviours and discuss why it is important
- Show – Demonstrate and model
- Practice – Role play expected behaviours in the relevant contexts
- Monitor – Pre-correct, supervise and provide positive feedback
- Reteach – Practice throughout the day
Where do we teach our Expected Behaviours?
- In every classroom throughout the school
- Everywhere in the school
- It is embedded in other school activities
Levels of School Wide Support
To ensure our students receive what they need to be successful learners, we use the SWPBS continuum of support which is described in the following diagram:
Compass Positive Rewards System
Staff at Mount Clear College have the opportunity to acknowledge and recognise the efforts of students by creating a Positive Behaviour entry to their Compass chronicle. This entry will give an overview of their positive action and will be coupled with an allocation of Positive Behaviour points that can be exchanged for prizes throughout the year. Positive Rewards System
Positive Behaviour Matrix
Mount Clear College’s Positive Behaviour Matrix reflects the four core values of the school: Care, Commitment, Respect and Responsibility, and how these should look in different areas of our school. The matrix is displayed in many areas throughout the school, taught explicitly in our classrooms and regularly referred to in conversations with our students.Positive Behaviour Matrix